[TR] Paint stainless steel?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Paint stainless steel?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:27:16 -0500
Hi,
I fashioned a part of my TR3's wheel well out of stainless steel (i got the 20
ga. SS from kitchen equip. stuff) and also welded it to the back end of the
new inner sill.  It seems to hold just fine...However, I should have first
asked several questions:

1. Will the ordinary mig weld successefully hold stainless steel?  (Is there a
special wire/gas used for mig welding stainless steel?)
2.  Will I need to paint this small area of SS (where the wheel well is welded
to the inner sill) or is it completely out-of-sight and covered by the rear
fender?  Will SS sucessfully 'take' paint?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org