[TR] cylinder head quesitons - Stag/ TR7/ Dolomite

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] cylinder head quesitons - Stag/ TR7/ Dolomite
From: "sujit roy" <triumphstag@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:39:40 -0700
About a month back I reported my stag wouldn't start.  The problem was due
to the crank shaft sprocket stripping all its teeth and causing the cam to
slip and hence the valves to hit the pistons. - Hence no compression on the
RH bank.  Some people suggested that the cam was binding so this weekend I
removed the cam, buckets and shims and replaced the cam with all its caps.  The
cam is turning freely.  My suspicion is that I had a badly manufactured
sprocket.

With the cam out, I noticed some scoring on the cam and the cylinder head,
at the 2nd from front anchor point as well as some wear on the casting of
the first anchor point Which is causing some play.  Is any play in this area
normal? I'm assuming not.  If I take it to a shop for machining, what do
they do?  Is my cam reusable?

My brother and I had a tough time removing the head on one stud.  We used a
wooden block and hammer to remove it.  We hacked sawed the stud and it's
still in the head.

Will I need to check it out for flatness?  Since I need to have some work
done, this seems like a no-brainer.

I've managed to make so much process, I'm assuming changing the valves and
beddinging them in by myself, should be a relatively simple task.

Any advice welcome.

Sujit

===     http://www.vtr.org