[TR] TR6 - Vaporizing fuel ?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 - Vaporizing fuel ?
From: "Jeff Nathanson" <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:49:29 -0400
    To make a long story short, I rebuilt my carbs and fuel pump. The car
never ran better! Great at idle, no hesitation, and more power. However,
after driving at highway speeds for about 10 minutes, the engine seemed to
have lost half its power for about 2 seconds, then back to full power. Then,
I turned around to head home. This cycling behavior continued while on the
highway until I turned off and drove the back roads to home. After lifting
the hood, there was gas leaking from the read carb (all new gaskets), and I
noticed that the metal fuel line from the fuel pump was touching the engine
block. Hmmmm....could the hot engine have vaporized the flowing gasoline
causing havoc with the float level in the carbs? Sounded rational to me. So,
I bent the fuel line such that it is about 1/2 inch away from the block
(this is maybe a 10 inch section of the total fuel line starting at the
front of the engine). Took the car out tonight on the highway and no
problems. It ran like a champ! Anybody else had similar problems or should I
look for some other culprit?

Thanks,
Jeff N.

'72 TR6