Re: [TR] fan extension, fan belt, steering rack

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] fan extension, fan belt, steering rack
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 16:11:03 -0700
Randall wrote
>>  TriumphTune used to sell the parts to allow using the dampener from a
BMC motor, but

Btmfdchn@aol.com replied

> The dampener from a 3-main MGB will fit with slight modification to the
key-way to make it a bit deeper.

It takes a bit more than that, at least for the dampener I sourced from a
MGB (maybe it was a 5 main ?).  The hub area is both shorter and smaller
diameter; meaning you need a spacer between it and the crank gear to clear
the timing cover (and line the belts up), plus a special seal to fit both
the cavity in the cover and the smaller hub.  My understanding is that the
TT kit was the spacer and special seal.  Of course, someone that was handy
with a lathe could probably create a spacer that would perform both
functions; or the seal might even be available off the shelf somewhere.

> He didn't recall the details for the waterpump pulley, maybe TR6.

Only the TR5/250 and possibly very early TR6 had removable pulleys.  At one
time, VB had some NOS pulleys, but most likely they are gone now.

>  His further recommendations were tufftriding the crank and a very precise
balance job.

Good advice.

Randall