Re: [TR] Re. Winter Storage

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Re. Winter Storage
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:55:06 -0700
> Suggestions I have heard include adding fuel stabilizer to the gas
> tank and a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil (!) to each cylinder.

Adding some sort of lubricant isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't think MMO
would be optimal.  Instead I'd be looking for something with some 'body' to
it, so it won't run off and leave the polished surfaces bare.  Something
more like Cosmolene or motorcycle chain lube.

Never had any trouble myself, but I have seen engines where the rings rusted
to the cylinders and did a lot of damage.  Friend of mine's freshly rebuilt
MGA motor totally seized after spending a few months parked in my yard.
After many years of soaking in various oils & pounding with a variety of
BFH; he finally had to break one of the pistons to get it out.  Don't think
he ever did get that engine to run again.

If you do add oil to the cylinders, I'd suggest putting the plugs back in
only loosely, and leaving the plug wires disconnected.  Then in the spring,
add some more oil to the cylinders and spin the engine with the starter
until the oil pressure comes up (thereby spreading the oil in the cylinders
and also ensuring there is no excess) before putting the plugs back and
connecting them.

Randall