Re: [TR] racing a tr4

To: "Mark Vaden" <markvaden@gmail.com>, "TR List"
Subject: Re: [TR] racing a tr4
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:54:28 +0000
From: "Mark Vaden" <markvaden@gmail.com>

> What are the most important modifications for safety? And after that what are
>the must
> do modifications for performance?

The most important thing to do with the TR4 is to have the rear axles converted
to Ford axles via the Southwick conversion. The stock axles will not hold up to
the rigors of racing and one will break, a wheel will fall off, the axle tube
will dig into the ground, and you will most likely end up upside down. The
Southwick conversion was designed by TR4 vintage racer Jack Drews, along with
machinist Bob Southwick, and uses the stock diff and axle assembly modified to
use 1 piece Ford axles rated to take over 300 hp. Jack got involved when his
first TR4 was destroyed after an axle failure at over 100 mph, which resulted
in 3 rollovers. In the years since this conversion was created, we haven't
heard of 1 failure.
You can contact Jack to arrange for a conversion at
vinttr4@geneseo.net
Don't expect an answer from him right away, he's at Road America this weekend.
After that, I would reinforce the front hubs and/or buy the aluminum billet
hubs from Southwick if he still has any available, and buy the front axle and
bearing spacer kit. You'll be able to go a lot faster if you can keep the
wheels on the car.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL