Re: [TR] Testing by dropping the car from 6" off the ground?

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>, list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Testing by dropping the car from 6" off the ground?
From: "Glenn A. Merrell" <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:13:13 -0600
Paul Dorsey wrote:
> I've asked basic welding questions before, but, after seeing a friend's car I
> still have doubt in both my equipment (the welder is now broke) and doubt in
> my welding skill.
>

> I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to knock the car off a carefully positioned
> jack at a height of 6 inches above the ground?  First this would be done to
> the rear wheels and then done to the front wheels.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey
> 60 TR3

Paul,
There are two ways to test a weld, one is a destructive test, the other
is an x-ray.  I would not do a drop test because that is like a crash
and you risk disturbing another seam somewhere hidden.

Take a look at your beads at the point between the two pieces of metal.
If they are smooth with some evenly spaced (mostly) ripples, no blow
through, trust yourself.  You have done well.  If you want a confidence
test, take two pieces of your surplus sheet steel, weld them together,
then go beat the begeevies out of it with a sledge hammer, or put one
side in the vice and try to peel the other one away from it, or try
bending it right at the weld 60 times.

If the beads look like a pile of bubbled steel splattered intermittently
and widely, just go and perfect your technique on some flat steel then
go back, grind off your old welds and do them again.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)