Re: [TR] carb leak

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] carb leak
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:15:01 -0700
> garage reeks of gas,
> found the front carb is leaking.
> where do i look for leak /c out taking off carb , etc.

Randy, it's always good to repeat in each post what car you are talking
about, and in the case of carbs, which carb you have.  Since you copied to
the 6-pack list, I'll assume you're talking about a TR6 with
Zenith-Stromberg carbs.

Actually, in any case, I would suggest you remove the carb to solve the
leak.  With a ZS carb, it's very likely to be a problem with the float
valve, which can potentially be serviced with the carb still on the car.
But it's rather difficult to see or even feel what is happening while doing
it, so for a novice I would recommend removing the carb.

Depending on the vintage of ZS carb, it might also be the O-ring that seals
the plug under the main jet to the float bowl, or even just the plug being
loose (on early carbs with the brass plug).

> i realize it will stop when the bowl empties.

If it is the float valve, it will also cause other problems, like possibly
dripping fuel onto the hot exhaust manifold while the engine is running.  I
would suggest you tend to this sooner rather than later, and not just
because your wife might object to the smell.

> also noted the RF engine mount has the feelbads. can it/they be replaced
/c
> the engine in place?

Can be done, but you will have to arrange an alternate support for the
engine while doing the R&R of the mount and be very certain it's secure.

Randall