Re: [TR] my TR3's control head

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] my TR3's control head
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:18:06 -0800
>  and after
> limited prying on the pretty brown plastic, I decided to
> just leave it on  the steering wheel (without removing it).

Paul,
While I would hate for you to break your pretty control head, I think you
should put some more effort into getting it apart.  I think you are going to
wind up having to remove those wires, which can't be done without removing
the control head as well.

>     To find out if I had achieved success, I tested each of
> the 4 wires with a
> AA- powered short circuit tester.

To make any sense of this test, you must disconnect the wires from the rest
of the car.

> The one that I was most concerned about was the brown wire
> which made a strong circuit when it was touched with the
> metal stator tube.  Does this mean that my 'shrink tubing'
> fix did not work?  Or is this suppose to happen?

If you've disconnected the end of the wire at the 4-way bullet connector
near the LH horn; then you should not see continuity between the wire and
the stator tube.  If you do, it means that either the horn button is stuck
(since it connects the wire to the tube to sound the horns), or the wire is
shorted to the tube.

>  I am hoping
> someone can tell me how to check for other electrical
> problems, or electrical 'symptoms' before I insert the stator
> tube through the steering column.

With the horn button released and the turn signal switch off, you should not
find continuity between any of the wires, or between any of the wires and
ground.  Holding the horn button down should produce continuity only between
the brown/black and ground (the stator tube) with the other 3 wires still
open.

Moving the turn switch to the left turn position should produce continuity
only between the green/red and green (or was it light green) wires.  Right
turn should only be green/white and green.

If it passes all that, the wiring in the stator tube and control head
switches are OK.

>  so that I can test the
> control head wiring for horns and blinker.  These are the
> only things a control head do aren't they?

That's all they do.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net