[TR] Tyres for a TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Tyres for a TR4A
From: GHaynesTR4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:11:37 EST
All,
The Kumho tyres currently available from The Tire Rack are 165/80R15.   This
size is not as tall nor as wide as the 165R15 tyres we are used to.   I put
them on MG-TD's and MGA's, maybe on a TR3 but think they are a bit wimpy for a
TR4A and not up to the power of a Healey or MGC.   Vredesteins in a 165R15 size
are available from British Wire Wheel and a good choice.   Of course Coker
has 165R15 XZX Michelins for around $140. each.
I would not recommend using 185R15 tyres on wheels that are 4.0" wide (stock
TR4A size).   Tyres that size should be mounted on 5.0" wheels, or wider.
You'll also find the 185R15's to be quite a bit taller than 165's,   messing up
the ride height and speedo accuracy.   If your (non-stock) wheels are 5.0"
wide or wider, the 185/70R15 fits and looks good, without being greater in
diameter that 165R15's.
Truth be told, there just isn't much out there in the 165R15 size anymore.
George Haynes

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net