Re: [TR] Axle Lube

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Axle Lube
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@onwight.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:54:30 -0000
--===============1221915487==

Hi Bob
This may be too late to help you if you have already done them, but I have
always used a Graphite grease, the original Triumph stuff was more like a
Graphite oil about the consistency of molasses from memory, but is NLA, I
know some people use CV joint grease as that is for Extreme Pressure
applications, I think White lithium might not be high enough Extreme
Pressure rated.
Also I drilled the internal splined body and tapped it for a grease nipple
so that once or twice a year I can refresh the grease with a couple of
squirts from the gun, I have found this to help with reducing spline lock.
About every third application I have to release the tie on the rubber boot
and squeeze some old grease out in to a rag to stop the balloon like
appearance from causing it to burst!!

Graham.