Re: [TR] Rover

To: <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>, "TeriAnn Wakeman"
Subject: Re: [TR] Rover
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:22:42 -0500
Glen Merrell said:

> Now the Jaguar X type is actually a reskinned Ford Mondeo (not sold in
> the US) which those I have seen are indeed very similar in the chassis
> and driveline when you pop the hood or look under, and I have read
> reports the S type is formed from another common Ford chassis, which may
> be the Lincoln LS compact series.  But those two cars are indeed
> products of strong Ford influenced design at Jaguar Engineering being
> produced in the 2002 model years. A lot of people do not consider the X
> or S types Jaguar designs, but all Ford design.  Maybe those are the
> Jaguars you are referencing?

My understanding is also that the X-Type and the Mondeo have a common
platform and the Lincoln LS and the S-Type were also on a common platform.
I also understood that the LS had the same suspension as the S type and
pretty much the same engine, making it a (relatively) poor man's S-Type.

The X-Type is (was - it is no longer with us) the only AWD Jag, and the
reason for this was that the Mondeo's platform is FWD.  The marketing types
decided that an FWD Jag would not have been acceptable to the Jag
enthusiast, so the decision was made to make the car AWD, which was more
easily accomodated than RWD within the constraints of the common platform.
So it is a little more than a reskinned Mondeo, since it incorporates a rear
driveline and a totally different rear suspension.  The terms "platform" and
"chassis" are not synonymous, by the way.  Cars with the same platform can
have a different chassis.  I believe the "platform" defines the location in
space of various major components.  The components can be joined together
somewhat differently from model to model sharing the same plaform.  At
least, that's my understanding.

I don't believe the XK or XJ platform are used elsewhere within Ford,
although I have this vague memory that the XK and the DB7 share a common
plaform.

But, as others may point out, this has nothing to do with Triumphs so I will
now return to filling out my expense report.

Mike
1960 TR3A
2000 XK8

http://www.vtr.org