[TR] SS brake prep?

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] SS brake prep?
From: "dorpaul" <dorpaul@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:56:27 -0400
I have ordered a new Stainless Steel Pre-bent Brake line set and fuel line
set.  I have also received some excellant advice concerning installation of
the Brake line.  Is the list aware of anything else that I might do to insure
a good installation of the stainless steel Brake line??  My last attempt to
install brake line was over a year or two ago, I was using FLAPS lines and my
flaring failed misrebly.  I am hoping that this time no flaring is involved.
    The advice which I received includes:
1.  Polish flares w/ emery cloth in circular pattern, insure that there are no
scratches even on brass fittings. (I have also purchased a small polishing
wheel for my Dremel rotary tool in hopes that this will also help.)   Check
for burrs w/ a dry Q-tip, the cotton should not catch on anything.
2.  Apply a very thin coat of liquid Teflon Plumbers thread lubricant on both
the mating threaded surfaces and flare mating surfaces. Apply this with a
Q-tip.  The liquid/paste Teflon helps stop galling between the stainless and
brass fittings by providing a bit of lubrication at the interference threads
and sealing points.
3. I've bought new Craftsman brake line wrenches.  I plan to tighten the
flares to 'REALLY TIGHT' (I'd guess that's 75 psi- please feel free to give
imput on this guess)

Also, one of the non-british brake articles I read said that stainless steel
brake lines are not seamless, and as a result only need a single flare.  I
have no idea about this, since I have yet to receive my order from Classic
Tube.  I assume that they'll already have the correct flares and fittings.
But, then, I've been told not to assume.

Thank You,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

http://www.vtr.org