Re: [TR] TR3A replacement "laygear" (Countershaft)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A replacement "laygear" (Countershaft)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:52:40 -0800
> Randal, I have been of the notion that my 2nd OD is like 3rd
> gear, 3rd OD is like 4th, but 4th is a true od ratio, I think
> you only get a 5 speed box, although its very convenient to
> just flip the switch (mine is on the gear shift knob) to go
> between 2nd and 2nd OD in the hills where I live.

2nd OD is actually a pretty good split between 2nd direct and 3rd direct.
It can make a noticeable difference in 0-60 time if your motor has been
tweaked to be a little more peaky than stock; especially since the stock
spread between 2nd and 3rd is kind of large.  Instead of having to rev past
the power peak in 2nd to avoid falling completely off the curve in 3rd, you
just flip the switch as soon as the power starts to fall and it puts you
right back on top of the power curve.

Try it sometime.

However you're right, 3rd OD is pretty close to 4th direct.  Not exactly the
same, but not far enough away to be worth an extra shift either.  However it
can still be very handy when you're trying to find the fastest way up the
mountain, as the stock switch location lets you shift without removing
either hand from the wheel, and with your foot still on the throttle.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net