[TR] degreaser

To: Triumph Email List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] degreaser
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:07:13 -0500
Hello,

In an attempt to clean parts in the house during the winter, I thought I would
try using a combination of that past hand cleaner + some greased lightning
degreaser. Trying to avoid the smell of the petroleum based solvents in the
house when the only ventilation system is the furnace and then the smell is
everywhere. Makes the spouse a bit upset when the whole house smells like the
garage!

Well, it worked just fine but I just tried it some painted parts that I
removed from the 3 in order to pull the engine.
These parts were last painted way back in 79 with rust-o-leum red primer +
black.

Well my solution is not only removing the oil/ grease but also taking the
paint right off!

I left some painted nuts and bolts in the stuff overnight and looking at them
today I see the paint peeling just like when one used regular paint remover.

This solution is apparently caustic enough to remove the paint.

No problem, I was just going to blast and repaint but I was a bit surprised.

Anyway, I found out that if you have the time, this is a much better way to
degrease than using my old method of paint thinner or any other petroleum
based cleaning fluid.

Also the nytril gloves last longer in this stuff than the thinners and such.

Bob

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net