Re: [TR] Lucas's looseness limits lighting?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Lucas's looseness limits lighting?
From: <robertko@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 7:01:29 -0700
This has already been mentioned but I recommend the Delphi Weatherpak
connectors.  These are used on GM vehicles and are sealed against the elements.
 Although these are not "correct" for a British vehicle, the connectors are
black and, if tucked away, do not stand out in an obvious manner.  They come in
one, two, three, four, and six connection layouts and require a special
crimping tool to join the connector pin and wire seal.  I found all the
components for a reasonable price at Waytek (NFI).

I was having the same difficulties as other aficienados - loose connectors were
 causing intermittent failures, some of the bullet connectors seized inside the
rubber covered connectors and resulted in either a broken wire due to pulling
or required "destruction" of the connector to loosen the male and female
connectors. Although bullet connectors are perfectly adequate, I wanted a
longer lasting, more reliable connection system.   I also added some additional
ground wires for the lights and ensured there was a mechanically and
electrically solid ground connection.  The running lights were also problematic
and the fault was found to be the light switch.  I added a relay to the running
light circuit which solved the problem.  The lower current required by the
relay coil allowed me to use the existing switch.  Haven't had any problems
with it so far.

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net