Re: [TR] Electronic ignition type coil FOLLOWUP

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Electronic ignition type coil FOLLOWUP
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:10:23 -0400
"Does anyone know why these are coils are electronic ignition type?"

Secondary resistance, most likely.

A Lucas Sport coil, for example, is a high-performance coil intended for
conventional points-type ignition or cars that have had optical or Hall-effect
triggers installed. The resistance across the secondary terminals is 2.9 Ohms,
so the current flowing through the points or Pertronix will be about 4.5 Amps
(13.5 volt system divided by 2.9 ohms of resistance.) Both the points and the
Pertronix/Crane triggers can handle this.

A coil intended for an electronic ignition, such as my MSD blaster coil, might
have a resistance of 0.5 ohms. If you use it with points or Pertonix, you will
get 27 amps of current, and you will quickly fry the points or trigger.  That's
when someone starts a thread about how Pertronix ignition units are crap...
(I'm using the MSD coil with an MSD 6AL ignition module.)

Cheers, Tom
http://www.triumphowners.com/735

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net