Re: [TR] TR6 Seat Rebuild

To: cole.jw@comcast.net, "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Seat Rebuild
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 09:50:56 -0400
Hello Jerry,

I spent days blasting my seat frames and painting them, sanding the spring
inserts and painting them, installing the rubber bottoms, etc. I took my new
covers, foams, and hardware to a local upholstery shop and was quoted 8
hours/$600 for the assembly, so I think your estimate is right on. I like
rebuilding things, but I hate fussing with upholstery and trying to make things
"pretty".

I spent a lot of time struggling with the bolster springs on my '71 seats too.
I tried having a broken wire welded/brazed, but it broke in the same place
while I was installing it. Some guys have had luck taking the wire to an
upholsterer and having it copied in spring steel. I finally just bought an
entire seat for $30 on eBay and harvested the wire I needed. This is tricky,
since it's usually the bottom left wire in the driver's seat that's broken from
being bent back and forth while the driver exits/enters the car. I was lucky to
find a seat where that hadn't happened. Try to buy a spare from a rust-prone
area, where the car died a quick death.

Good Luck. I think it's worth it; the '70-'72 seats are harder to rebuild, but
much more comfortable than the flat marshmallows they used from '73 on.

Cheers, Tom

http://www.triumphowners.com/735

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net