Re: [TR] Pertronix Failure

To: banc8004@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Pertronix Failure
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:03:30 -0600
banc8004@comcast.net wrote:
> Is there the possibility that 'upgrades' such as the Pertronix ignition unit,
>and other like it, are less reliable than the contact breaker points they
>replace?
>
> Have any TR folks given up on such a system and reverted to points?

Some have, I'm sure (I recall a few mentions of doing that over the
years).  I don't know that they're more or less reliable than points.
But, when they quit, they bloody well quit completely--there's no
temporary fixes to get them going long enough to get home.  That's one
of the advantages of points.  If they quit, there's usually something
that can be done with them, with reasonably simple tools, even if
performance is compromised.  That's why many boat owners don't have
electronic ignitions, or, if they do, carry a couple of spares.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net