[TR] how they balance allow wheels

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] how they balance allow wheels
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 10:35:40 -0400
My GT6 is running on Cosmic MkII wheels from a Lotus Europa.  At
least one needs re-balancing.  When the tires were first mounted and
delivered to me, they were balanced with what seem to be weights
stuck by adhesive pads to the inside of the inner rims.  There is no
obvious lip on either inner or outer rim such as on a steel wheel
where one would clip a weight.

Is this adhesive technique standard?  More to the point, if I take
the car to any random tire place will they know what to do or will
they look at them and refuse to do it?  Or do it poorly?  Should I go
to one of the places around here which display collections of spiffy
alloy wheels in their windows?

And what if someone sticks adhesive weights to a dirty rim?  What
would keep them sticking through rain, snow, sleet, and gloom of
night?  Not that I intend to drive through snow or sleet, but rain
happens unexpectedly rather often.

Tanks,

--
Jim Muller