[TR] solenoid and battery hook up

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] solenoid and battery hook up
From: "dorpaul" <dorpaul@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:51:55 -0400
Well, this weekend I had hoped to crank my TR3.  As usual things took much
longer than I had thought.  To begin with, my starter solenoid broke at one of
the small terminals and I had one that was 'generic', my mechanic friend told
me, it fit an old Ford Falcon.  Actually, I thought I had tried it and it
worked.  Anyway, the neg. from the battery (I am pos. grnd) , and the cable to
the starter both got the big poles alone, seperately.  (I wondered if it
mattered which big pole went to the starter?).  I also guess there is no
connectivity between them once the car is cranked.
    On the stock solenoid, a small solenoid terminal runs 'off' the battery
cable, so I did likewise on the Falcon solenoid.  For some reason, I had
'temporairly' installed a 10amp fuse in this short wire that goes to the fuse
block and attaches not far from the bottom-front of the battery box.
    The Falcon solenoid had the 2 small terminals labeled as "s" and "i".  My
Triumph also has 2 small wires:  like I said, the one from the battery was
fused and went to A1.  I put the r&w cable wire to the "i" small terminal.  I
didn't know what to do with the "s" small terminal so I didn't hook anything
to it, for right now.
    The starter did turn things when I had all the plugs out, but jumper
cableing it to my Nissan didn't get it turning fast enough.  I wonder if this
was partly due to the length of  the cables and also due to my battery?  I'll
be buying a battery soon, how many CCA did you say were required?
 I think my battery box will accomadate a battery 14" wide, 7" deep and 8"
tall (which should keep it from hitting the bonnet.  I had seen a VW battery
with 'recessed' terminals once, that I thought might fit.  I also had seen a
very wide (maybe 13") battery once, that was 'short', but, proably had enough
CCA.  Don't you agree that 2" of clearence ought to be between battey and
bonnet?

Thanks, Paul   60 TR3

--
It has removed 916 spam emails to date.