[TR] American iron help?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] American iron help?
From: tom white <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:44:17 +0000
Sorry no LBC content.  But I appeal to the wisdom of the list for a successful
resolution.

I have a Ford 8" rear end in my TR3A.  In April I found a leaking axel seal on
the right side.  I replaced the seal, the axel bearing, and the brakes on both
sides.  The car has been driven just a thousand miles since then and the right
axel seal is leaking again.

My Motor Manual suggestes the possible reasons are:

1.  Worn seal. Not applicable.

2.  To thin oil in the differential.  I am using Red Line multigrade 75 - 90.

3.  Clogged differential vent.  I checked and it appeared to be clear.

4.  Loose bearing retained plate.  It was tight.

5.  Bad bearing.  Not applicable.

6.  Cracked differential housing.  Unlikely but not magnafluxed yet.

7.  Axel worn at the seal contact area.  Tested and appears to have good
contact area.

Does anyone have any other ideas about why a new axel seal would leak?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Tom
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550
F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net