Re: [TR] Odds that old water pump is any good?

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Odds that old water pump is any good?
From: Michael Lang <mlang99@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:13:30 -0700
Based on everyones advice, I decided to replace my old water pump.

This evening I was in the shop looking at the old pump and decided to
disassemble it. If I had decided to replace it anyway, what did I have
to loose other than a little time. I carefully pressed it apart and
found that it's really in pretty good shape. The bearing feels well
lubricated and spins nice and smooth. The seal surfaces and shaft are
clean and shiny.

I pressed it all back together and am going to run it the way it is.
Someone must have replaced it very shortly before taking the car off the
road.

One question: My shop manual has a picture that says the impeller
clearance should be "085". No decimal point or indication of the type of
units. Everything else in the manual is in inches. They can't possibly
mean .085". That's a really huge gap. Anyone know what it should be set to?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net