Re: [TR] [6pack] CVJs Have Arrived

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] [6pack] CVJs Have Arrived
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 22:02:41 -0500
At 08:02 PM 12/8/2008, Joe Curry wrote:
>I don't think that it is a proper comparison between CV joints and U-Joints.
>It is sorta like apples and oranges.  While both of them allow flexing of
>the two things that are connected, the CV joint also allows inward and
>outward movement.

Well, yeah.  But that's not the primary reason.  Recall that "CV"
stands for "Constant Velocity"

A u-joint has a funky kind of motion as it rotates...the ends of the
yokes go in and out, and so the speed changes slightly as it
rotates.  The CV joint minimizes this.  A CV joint also eliminates
the possible notchiness at extreme angles of input relative to output.

Some interesting mathematics
here:  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint>

And some pretty pictures here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint>

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Corrosion Acres, Georgia         #354

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net