Re: [TR] TR3A speedo

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A speedo
From: "Rick" <chandler.rick@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:08:22 -0800
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:47:25 EST

From: DLylis@aol.com

Subject: [TR] TR3A speedo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net

David,

You need to rotate the needle clockwise a bit to fix your average speed
under-report of 20 mph. Hold the main disk with your fingers and slowly
rotate the needle to advance the reading by 20 mph; these are simple cars.
Concerning the instability, I am sad to report that I have recently gone
through 3 Moss speedo cables before realizing that ALL of them are more that
10 thou oversize at the square cross-section end (key) at the transmission
junction. This fit must be smooth, with the key completely entering the
female part (I feel like Larry Flint writing this). The oversized keys only
enter part way, and when the collar is screwed down, the cable buckles and
twists in compression and results in erratic rotation, and eventually
failure in the speedo bushings. The key dimension is supposed to be 0.125
inch on a side, and must be ground down on ALL sides to fit. Go carefully
here, as the key is just a press-formed portion of the inner spiral cable,
and has little excess metal to remove. Moss Motors is a friend to us
enthusiasts, and I am grateful that they support our cars. In this
particular case, Moss should insist on spec cables from their vendors, as
the consequences of bad cables are often expensive.

Rick Chandler

2414 73rd Avenue SE

Mercer Island WA 98040

Home         206 236 8662