Re: [TR] mistaken brake lights?

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] mistaken brake lights?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:15:54 -0700
> In wiring up my 3's brake lights, it looks as if the brake
> lights not only go to the rear of the vehicle, but they also
> power the front grill's marker lights.  Can this be right?

As Andy notes, something is wrong.  However since you have a later car that
uses the same rear fixture for brake lights and tail lights, it is possible
that there is a short within one of those fixtures allowing current to flow
from the brake light circuit into the marker light circuit.  Just having a
bulb installed wrong can do that; or the bulb contacts may be touching each
other.

Or the wiring under the hood may be wrong.  The marker light circuit should
be a red wire (which does run to both front and back).  The brake light
circuit should be a green wire with a purple stripe.

Unless of course your car is like my TR3, where all the colors have faded to
a uniform brown <G>

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net