[TR] Dieseling

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Dieseling
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:41:58 +0000 (UTC)
Hoo boy.B  I've been reading archives until my eyes crossed trying to find a
consistent answer about how to stop an engine from running on.B

I've actually run this car for three full seasons without dieseling.B  At
inspection I asked my (extremely good) mechanic who's owned many of these to
adjust the carbs.B  Apparently I had been running rich by about two full
flats.B  My mpg has improved from nearly 22 mpg to a bit over 25 mpg.B  But
now the engine diesels.B

One suggestion was carbon deposits.B  This could be, though I run at 3800
RPM's for 30 minutes every day.

Another suggestion was plugs fouling, usually related to carbon deposits, I
guess.B  Mine are tan.

Another suggestion was to use higher octane fuel.B  I will if I have to, but
I'd prefer a mechanical solution first.B  Besides, ISTR that consensus on the
List was that these cars were meant to run on regular?

Yet another suggestion had to do with timing.B  I haven't checked that for a
while. When I did, I set it to factory specs by measuring the diameter of the
pulley, did the math of degrees-to-inches,B then put a dot of white-out where
the advance timing should be.B  ISTR it was 4 degrees.

And yet another suggestion was that the butterflies weren't closing
completely.B  This one has me wondering because of two things:B  a) the engine
flutters momentarily when accelerating out of idle, and b) the engine doesn't
hit idle immediately, albeit it's much better since installing a third spring
to the linkage.B  On the other hand, I've tested the cylinders and they lift
and drop smoothly with a distinct clunk.

Whoops.B  Looks like my keyboard is dieseling on.B  I'll stop now and solicit
any thoughts that might put this thing to rest?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net