Re: [TR] TR4 Alternator Conclusion (I Hope)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Alternator Conclusion (I Hope)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:35:55 -0700
> 1. The belt squeals sometimes on initial throttle
> application.

Check that all your pulleys are the correct width for your belt, and the
belt is not touching the bottom of the groove.  If all else fails, you may
need a slightly larger diameter pulley on the alternator (so the belt gets
more grip).

> 2. When driving it last night, I noticed that the ignition
> light would gently glow at all RPMs.

Indicates that you have some voltage drop through the car's wiring; or
possibly a bad main diode in the alternator.

> - engine on, RPM >1000, but with extra load such as lights or heater fan
> - multi-meter read about 14.5 while car voltmeter was in the 13s and
slowly dropping.

Bingo.  There is a poor connection somewhere (might be the ignition switch
itself) and it's getting hot. Use your voltmeter to trace along the circuit
until you find the voltage drop.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net