Re: [TR] TR3 New Rear Main Seal Leaking

To: <bill_beecher@flash.net>,"'TR List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 New Rear Main Seal Leaking
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:19:28 -0400
At 01:59 AM 7/4/2009, bill_beecher@flash.net wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>Well I have now put 100 miles on the new engine, it runs great, but I think
>I am actually leaking more oil than before the rebuild.  I know, they are
>supposed to leak some, it a British right of passage, but I went so far as
>to grind the crank to the fit the $150. 'new-and-improved' seal from Moss
>that is supposed to resolved much of this problem.  After parking the car
>from  a 30min drive I see a 5" dia puddle under the engine at the rear.

Bill, before I installed my Moss (I believe this is not a
vendor-specific issue) seal I was fortunate to have a very
informative discussion with Jack Drews, who suggested shortening the
spring to 8.25 inches.  I also drilled the rear main cap for 2
additional drain holes (this only drains oil from the seal, not the
bearings).  I've been fortunate and have had no leaks (this email is
probably the jinx, however).

>Is there a break-in period that I should be aware of?  I intend to change
>the break-in oil at 200 miles, will this make a difference?  Can I pull the
>pan to inspect the seal without pulling the engine/trans to do it?  If so,
>what should I be looking for?

I doubt if additional running will make it any better, but it won't
hurt to try.  If I were you, I'd pull the engine.  Not a pleasant
prospect, but removing the rear main cap is challenging enough with
the engine on a stand.  And don't even think about squishing the felt
strips back into the cap groves while working over your head.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

jim

--
J.C. Hassall
Blacksburg VA