Re: [TR] Broke the GT6+

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Broke the GT6+
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 13:53:43 -0400
On Sunday 09 August 2009 01:03:48 pm TR250Driver@aol.com wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> For the first time ever at a Triumph Event, a Triumph left me on the side
> of the road when the GT6+ snapped the thrust side U-Joint off the diff
> during  the poker run at the TRF Summer Party. At least I got my 3 runs in
> on the drag strip and autox before she broke.  I am going to tell you all
> a warning for this looks like a clean break, snapped in half, most likely
> inferior replacement part with less than 2000 miles on it.  Not sure for I
> broke my NOS Speedometer too.
>
> Yikes, always something, Huh?  Anyone else had one fail like  this?  Ok I
> was flogging it a little on the drag strip and autocross  but not that bad
> for all my times sort of sucked.  I heard a bad  clunk from the rear on my
> third drag run launch and a small clunk  developed after the autox whilst
> taking up the drive, but nothing to suggest  that catastrophic failure was
> imminent.
>
> Someone has said the u-joints with grease jerks are weakened by the hole
> drilled right in the center.  Is that a possibility?
>
> Woe is Me,
> Darrell
Darrel,

I have heard that before on this and the 6 pack list.
But I believe there is someone who makes a stronger u joint.

Anyone on the list know the supplier?

Anyway, you should be able to source a temporary replacement at TRF and should
have enough help around to get it installed for your ride home.

One more reason I don't push my 3 and 4 and will also take it easy with the 6
when it is done.

Bob

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net