Re: [TR] Low Oil Pressure and Engine Noises

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Low Oil Pressure and Engine Noises
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:43:50 -0700
> Here's a pic of the #2, center main and #3 bearings. I
> thought my oil filter
> was better!
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/42214313@N05/3895000572/

Not bad at all, especially with that oil pump.

> Oil Pump and filter screen

Ken Gillanders wrote a tech tip many years ago of reinforcing the screen by
looping some copper or stainless steel wire through the screen and around
the pickup tube.  It seems to help keep the wire from breaking where it's
soldered to the tube; I assume by keeping the screen from vibrating as much.

> Do I need new rod and main bolts?

IMO, no.

> Aviation gasket goo.

Only for the felt in the rear main cap.  I'd suggest Hylomar everywhere
else.

> Loctite? Which one?

Medium strength/blue.

> I haven't pulled the front main bearing cap. Doesn't that
> have the front
> engine support plate gasket glued to it? Hmmm. What am I
> getting myself into?

Yes, the gasket will tear as you remove the filler block.  Clean it up and
put some form-a-gasket in there.

> Anything else I need?

Don't forget the felt for the rear cap.  Obviously, I'd change the filter,
too.

How were the thrust washers?

Randall

http://www.vtr.org