Re: [TR] Static Timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Static Timing
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:37:58 -0600
> My question is am I looking for the points to open or close with the
> static timing at 12 BTDC?
You want them to just be opening at that point.  Look at it this way.
While the points are
closed, the electrons have a nice complete path from the + side of the
ignition to ground.
A nice, happy stream of electrons swirling through the coil on there way
to a complete
circuit.

As soon as the points *open* the path is interrupted, all those rushing
electrons in the coil
suddenly have no place to go except out the high tension wire, through
the distributor to
a spark plug chosen by the position of the rotor.  And hopefully there
are enough of them
to jump the gap as a spark, and that spark occurs in an area of
sufficient fuel atomised in
the air and  there is an explosion (very rapid combustion) that forces
the piston down and
makes the engine go around - the 'bang' part of the 4 cycle suck,
squeeze, bang and blow
process.

A pretty simplistic explanation, it would likely warrant an F if written
on one of my
college level EE exams on induction circuits, but it should be accurate
enough to help
you figure out how to set the static timing.

I think you are trying to make this more difficult than it really is.
It is *much*  easier than
the incredibly difficult, time consuming process, taking years to
master, of using the mouse
and a few clicks to highlight and delete the unneeded portions of the
original message that
most folks, for some unknown reason, include in their replies.

mjb,  grumpy ol' list admin.

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net