Re: [TR] Burned Exhaust Valve

To: <akgraves@cox.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Burned Exhaust Valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:50:21 -0700
> Then I noticed a gaping
> hole in the #6
> exhaust valve.  I removed it and there is a 5/16'' chunk
> missing!  My question
> is what could have caused that?

Was it burned away, or broken away?  Burned would indicate it wasn't seating
properly for some reason, like maybe a weak spring or clearances too tight.
Very lean mixtures can also sometimes cause exhaust valves to burn (by
sending EGT way high).

But that would not explain the oil consumption.  I think you need to keep
looking for how oil was getting into #6.  My guess would be a broken piston.
http://tinyurl.com/lcmsza

But check the intake valve for burned oil caked behind the head.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net