[TR] Missing on a hill, was Sticking Valves?

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Missing on a hill, was Sticking Valves?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:42:01 -0400
On 19 Sep 2009 at 9:32, Michael Lang wrote:

> When I climb one particularly long hill at about
> 65mph, the engine starts missing on one cylinder

Sorry, I can't help with the sticking valve theory.  I have a
different story about sputtering while climbing hills.  My Fiat 124
had a twin-cam, cross-flow alumin(i)um head.  The plugs were set
vertically and recessed in wells running right down the center of the
head.  The cam covers were prone to leak oil, some of which would
collect in the plug wells.  Well, one time the radiator cap started
spraying water slightly, or maybe it was a pinhole leak in a hose, I
forget.  Anyway, some water collected in the plug wells too.  It
didn't matter much until I started going up a steep hill.  Then if
any were full enough the angle would let the water contact the plug
tip and short it out.  It took me a trip or two to figure out what
was causing it, then another trip or two to find the water source.

With regards electronic dizzies, my Spitfire has the Lucas CEI
ignition.  It has run like a champ for 20 years.  The timing never
moves.  Its only problems were when the mounting bolts and the
connector got corroded.  And then when the engine was rebuilt the
guys couldn't get it started so they replaced the GM module in the
control box, it apparently have gone bad some time during their
rebuild.  Otherwise, it just runs.  And it's a Lucas yet!  Even if it
does have a GM module inside.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com