[TR] TR4A Sputtering - Partially Solved

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4A Sputtering - Partially Solved
From: "Jerry Goulet" <jerrann@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:09:58 -0700
I was once showing someone how easily the Pertronics installed (and
concealed) and when I replaced the dizzy cap, I inadvertently got the rubber
Pertronics wire in a position where it would be snagged by the rotor.  As
soon as I cranked the engine, the wire was pulled out of the body of the
Pertronics unit and of course points were temporarily installed to get home.
I then used a Dremmel to grind out some of the plastic Pertronics body to
solder in the wire and reinforced the joint with some glue.  It runs just
fine before and since and I would not use points again except for emergency
measures.

Other than that, the most common problem that I have observed is the lousy
rotors that seem to be everywhere these days.  Cheap, so called "will fit"
rotors have been headaches even for those who still run points.

If the Pertronics is installed properly as per the instructions and there is
an associated performance problem, such as a miss or RPM related issue, then
I would look elsewhere rather than blame the Pertronics too quickly.

Cheers, Jerry
1961 TR3A

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net