Re: [TR] Subject: Re: towing

To: Catpusher@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Subject: Re: towing
From: KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:46:33 EDT
Having read all the inputs on this, all I can say is that Triumphs were
built as sports cars for the masses, but now they have become far more
collectable.

Once, it was acceptable and 'the done thing' to flat tow them. Reliability
expectations have changed over time. Therefore, it may be totally
worry-free to  flat tow Modern Rubbish behind a primary vehicle, but the same
can't
reasonably be said for our lovely old real cars. What's most  important is
the wear on the car, I think. It's only the engine and gearbox that  doesn't
get the wear in this scenario. Oh, and brakes. Suspension, wheel  bearings,
diffs, steering all wear somewhat, if not necessarily quite at the  same
rate as when under power, so for me there would be a reliability worry. My  car
isn't in concours condition by any means, and therefore not a trailer
queen,  but nevertheless I tow it on a trailer to events, if they are a couple
of
hours  or more away. I tend not to go to car shows, so I'd be towing it to
driving  events or to vintage race events where I'd drive it around as a
spectator.  Trailers are not expensive and they don't depreciate much. Plus
they're easy to  maintain. A tow vehicle won't get great gas mileage but but
not that bad either,  if you choose wisely.

Sorry this is so long.

Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
Kings Creek Trees and Ornamentals
427 Kings Creek Road,  RR3
Ashton, Ontario, K0A 1B0, Canada
Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
(http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Proud  member of Landscape Ontario (the Ontario association of Horticulture
Industry  professionals), the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association and
Christmas Tree  Farmers of Ontario

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net