Re: [TR] tr3 CARBURATION

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] tr3 CARBURATION
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:43:50 -0700
> Right now I am in process of adjusting them to a leaner
> mixture but I find
> this pretty tedious.(Can anyone suggest a better way??)

The "lift the piston" test given in the manual is quick and reliable, IMO.
If you find that it does not give clear results, then there is something
else wrong (valve lash, ignition timing, vacuum leak, etc.).

If you then find that the plug color is significantly off, that also
indicates a problem that should be corrected (worn or wrong needles, worn
jets, internal fuel leak, wrong or missing spring, etc.)

Note too that modern fuel doesn't color the plugs quite the same way as the
old leaded stuff did.  Part of that nice tan color they used to get was lead
oxide (which is very white).  I believe it's now fairly normal for the cold
part of the plug (the edge of the threaded portion) to remain black instead
of tan.  You have to look at the tip of the insulator instead.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net