[TR] crossthreaded master cylinder-TR3

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] crossthreaded master cylinder-TR3
From: "Rick" <chandler.rick@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:38:17 -0700
Pery,

Once you have cleaned up the first few threads (I'm assuming that the mc
thread body is not stripped) try the following for a smoother connection:

1.       Lubricate the threads (1-1/2 wraps of Teflon tape work for me)
before making the connection, and

2.       Loosen, or even remove, the fasteners that hold the mc to the
chassis. With this freedom of motion, you will be able to align and
hand-tighten the threaded collar into the mc. Slowly wrench the collar until
you feel it bottom, then turn it one additional flat. THEN re-fasten the mc
to the chassis.

Randall's suggestion of swapping the two mc's is a good one. I occasionally
find my British motorcycle projects arriving with the front caliper line
threads stripped. After inserting a heli-coil, I make it a practice of
swapping the front and rear calipers to insure that emergency braking is
there when I need it.

Rick in Seattle

1960 Triumph TR3A

1970 BSA 441 Victor Special