Re: [TR] removing TR4 gearbox rear seal

To: Jim Vassiliadis <diggle@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Re: [TR] removing TR4 gearbox rear seal
From: Michael Lang <mlang99@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:07:37 -0800
I have driven a sharp flat bladed screw driver through the metal body of
the seal and used it to pry it out of place. The down side to this is
the possibility of going too far and nicking the bearing or leaving
metal shards behind. I believe that there is a type of hook that can be
attached to a slide hammer for this purpose but I don't own one.

I recently purchase a box full of Churchill Tools off of Craigslist here
in Portland. It included a set of tools for removing seals. They are
tapered sleeves of various diameters that have very coarse threads on
that outside of the taper. It looks like they get threaded into the face
of the seal. There is a threaded rod that is used to push on the pinion
shaft (or what ever) to pull the seal out. I am looking forwards to
giving them a try to see if they really work.

Mike

Jim Vassiliadis wrote:
> I have a 1962 TR4 with an overdrive gearbox and would like to change the
> rear overdrive and also diff pinion seal.
> Do I need a puller if some sort ie how is it done?
>
> Thankyou
>
> Jim Vass

Suggested annual donation  $11.47

Triumphs@autox.team.net