[TR] pressure sandblaster tips?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] pressure sandblaster tips?
From: Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:28:49 -0800 (PST)
Cleaning up tr-3 fenders:  I purchased a harbor freight pressure blaster and
within half hour ruined the nozzle last summer (ball valve just wore out by
sand going through it).  I wasn't really happy with the blaster as it seemed to
work intermittedly.  It would  blow very well but then seem to get plugged or
almost plugged at times.  I've since replaced the valve with a deadmans valve
but when first using it I got sand blowing out with minimal pressure.  Not
nearly enough pressure to be effective.  I took everything apart and all lines
were clear except for the sand hose from the bottom of the blaster to the
nozzle which was full of sand.
I have a 4 hp compressor with 25 gallon tank.  It does 9 scfm at 40lbs and 7 at
90.  I know its somewhat small for pressure blasting but think it should do
better than that as it does handle my cabinet blaster ok.  The pressure blaster
is harbor freight 40lbs.
My understanding/experience with pressure blasters is minimal.  My main
question is with the sand hose from blaster to nozzle.  It does have a valve
right under the blaster which can control sand flow.  Should this be wide open
or partially open?  I'm thinking if its wide open then too much sand is filling
the hose resulting in plugging or partially plugging the hose.  But what will
it help to partially close the sand valve?................. because when I shut
off the nozzle to re-arrange the fender or do another task.................
won't the sand continue running into the hose anyway.........potentially
plugging.
Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone else has more
extensive experience with pressure blasting.
I'm basically cleaning up the edges/corners of fenders and might just resort to
hand sanding and POR-15.LOL

this might be borderline british so sorry!
gary n.

Suggested annual donation  $11.47

Triumphs@autox.team.net