Re: [TR] Early TR4 radiator recore

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Early TR4 radiator recore
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:15:44 -0800
> Does anybody have any recommendations of shops or cost estimates for
> getting
> an early style TR4 radiator recored?
> I'm based in NJ but don't mind shipping it.

It's a standard operation, any competent radiator shop can handle it.  Mine
cost about $200, but that was a few years back.

If you were in the area, I'd recommend Mac's Radiator in Bellflower, CA; but
there's no sense in shipping from NJ.

Two options to consider :
1) Keep the crank hole
2) Use a modern filler neck

The crank hole reduces cooling by about 10% and costs extra; I left it out.

Using a modern filler neck cost me about $20 a few months ago (when I had
the TR3 radiator rodded out), and gives a much wider choice of caps &
pressure ratings (I now have a 10 psi cap with a lever to release the
pressure).

Just don't forget, and install an original cap!  (Local club member tried
that, and couldn't understand why he kept blowing up radiator hoses!)

Randall

Suggested annual donation  $11.47

Triumphs@autox.team.net