Re: [TR] Valve timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Valve timing
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:02:20 -0400
On Sunday 04 April 2010 05:12:47 am John Gillis wrote:
> Sorry for he second valve question on the list, how possible is it to check
> the valve timing with a built up and in place engine, that wont start,
> frustration has me now checking if i have  problem, I have gone through the
> usual, spark,fuel etc.. it did run briefly but roughly but now nothing
> John

John,

I don't have the specs in front of me but what you can do is take the valve
cover off and remove the spark plugs and then rotate the engine by hand using
the fan towards #1 intake cycle towards TDC. The intake valve should start
opening sometime just before TDC. My TR6 begins to put pressure on the valve
at 18 degrees BTDC.

If that is ok then check the spark timing. I use the static method to set the
points at TDC then advance the timing 4 degrees. I then adjust by ear once I
get a good idle.

Another thing that can mess things up is that the distributor is 180 degrees
off. I did this on my TR4. Again while checking out the intake valve opening
continue to rotate the engine until it is at TDC and firing on #1. Then check
the orientation of the rotor. It should be at #1 on the cap. If not follow the
instructions in the manual to set the distributor drive.

Bob

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47