Re: [TR] TR3 Coil question

To: "'triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Coil question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:18:28 -0700
> Question:  bad luck / coincidence or is anyone aware of a
> systematic problem
> which can cause coils to quit?

Well, the most obvious question is did you get the right kind of coil?

After that, I would check the end-to-end resistance of all the plug wires
(from cap terminal to plug terminal) to see that they are all reasonably
close to the same value.  The exact value isn't so important, anything
between 0 and maybe 5000 ohms is OK depending on what kind of wires you are
running; but one that is unusually high indicates a problem that could be
allowing the system voltage to go too high every time that cylinder fires.

I had a coil fail during TRfest, then started suspecting it's replacement
just a few days ago.  Turns out I've got 3 wires that check very close to
2000 ohms, and one that is at 12500.  In the past, I've had problems with
"carbon core" wires burning out at the cap terminal; but in this case the
resistor inside the plug boot has apparently failed.

Or it might just be crummy coils.  I recall some years ago, Ken at BFE
reported that he bought a case of "Lucas Sports" coils, and found that a
significant percentage of them (like over half) were either DOA or didn't
perform as advertised on a coil tester.  He threw the entire lot away.

Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47