Re: [TR] low compression on cylinder no. 6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] low compression on cylinder no. 6
From: david brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:29:46 -0400
Thanks Randall,

I think you're right. There's a little more to the story. Shortly after
I put her to bed I decided to install a Carter fuel pump in place of
the Redtop. Once the install was complete I had trouble with the
my weber accelerator pumps (triple carb setup). She just wouldn't
spin when I blipped the throttle. I soon realized that 5 of my accelerator
pumps weren't working - the only one working was the one for
cylinder number 6. The fuel in my tank was less than 6 mos old but
it didn't smell fresh and it turned out that my Webers were seriously
gummed - hence the clogged pumps. (Along with a squirt of oil, I'll
be using Stabil from now on). Well, I guess in trying to get it to run
I doused #6 with quite a bit of fuel. I then left the car for the remainder
of the winter. Yesterday I decided to renew the condenser, points,
rotor and cap. As I rotated the engine by hand there was a definite
resistance and a breaking-free that took place. I'm thinking that the
fuel spilt into #6, varnished, and glued the compression ring into place.
I then grabbed 10cc of Corrosion-X (a rust inhibitor penetrator) and
injected it into #6. The result was 60psi became 140psi. Today the
compression was 180psi. I think the gum on the ring dissolved. I'll
know better once I get my carbs back together and complete the
tune-up. Feeling a little less panicked, thanks again.

David Brady
'68 TR250, CD8124L

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html