Re: [TR] Brake shoe life

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Brake shoe life
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:02:54 -0700
> I've always assumed that rear brake shoes still have some life on them
> if they're thicker than the backing plate their attached to.  Valid
> assumption?

Certainly not always!  Contamination by brake fluid, bearing grease or
differential oil will ruin them, no matter how thick the lining is.  Trying
to clean up the contamination with solvents, etc. may appear to restore them
temporarily, but my experience is that it will never remove ALL of the
contamination, which will then come back to the surface when the shoe gets
hot (meaning the brakes quit working just when you need them most).

And if you have riveted linings, you should be looking only at the thickness
above the rivet head.

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html