Re: [TR] brakes

To: <tr6parts@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] brakes
From: "John Mc " <john.mcmaster@netspeed.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 09:28:12 +1000
Hi Al,

I recently had to bleed the brakes on my '6 following a ruptured brake line
(don't ask, but let's just say
that 12 volts creates quite an arc when earthed through a brake line!).  I
also experienced a soft spongy
pedal after bleeding and what I found was that the rear brake reservoir (the
smaller front reservoir in the
MC) had run dry and caused the shuttle in the PDWA switch to move meaning that
no fluid was being transferred
to the rear wheel cylinders.  We removed the PDWA switch and re-centred the
shuttle and had no problems with
bleeding after that.  Note that the manual does give a different way of
bleeding than most often used, stating
that you should use long slow strokes while the bleeder is open.  Most times
I've bled brakes you pound the
peddle to bring up pressure then release the bleeder.  In any case, if the
shuttle in the PDWA is centred,
either way should work.  Just to be sure, I had mine professionally pressure
bled.  $60 for piece of mind.

All the best,

John Mc
"Fast is First"