Re: [TR] TR3 fuel tap/shut off valve

To: "'Carl TR'" <cfmtr3a@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 fuel tap/shut off valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:31:27 -0700
> The line that came off TS81802 did not have the tap.  Is
> there any advantage to having one?

Personally, I rather like the tap and would probably add one even to a car
that originally came without.  However, it's not too hard to get by without
it; just carry a tool to pinch the soft fuel line closed:
http://tinyurl.com/335ox3z

But since it wouldn't be original for your car anyway, might as well find a
more modern, less troublesome tap than the original.

> Regarding the fuel pump.  the line I have did not have the
> connector on that
> end.  Is it the same thread/style as the one on the other end
> (into the tank)?

If the later cars used the same fitting into the tank as earlier ones, then
"yes".  In any case, it is a reasonably common fitting (for that purpose),
so most full-line auto parts stores should have one.  (By "full line", I
mean some place like NAPA or equivalent, not a discount house like Pep Boys
or O'Reillys or AutoZone.)

>   The same question for fittings for the tap if I go
> that route?

The stock tap used different fittings, with female compression nuts instead
of the male nuts found at the tank & fuel pump.  I don't know if they will
interchange with common plumbing fittings or not.  But if you are buying a
new tap, I believe it should come with the nuts.

Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47