Re: [TR] TR4 horn wiring

To: <brad.kahler@141.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 horn wiring
From: Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <deruiterville@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 06:51:14 -0500
Brad-

I had this issue on my TR4, and am also configured pretty similarly to you as
I use the TR6 lower coupling and I've changed over to a relay setup.  In my
case I tracked down the grounding issue to the lower shaft itself.  Even
though the upper rubber coupling had the grounding wire, I was losing ground
right at the splined joint on the lower shaft - evidently corrosion builds up
over time.  I solved it temporarily (now going on 2 years), by wrapping a 12
gauge grounding wire along the lower shaft to get a good ground all the way
through the column.  At that point, no problem.  If I were you I would also
have a grounding strap from the steering rack to the frame even though you are
using solid mounts.  And no, I don't have a separate ground wire for that
lower coupling, it seems to ground just fine there.

Randy

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47