Re: [TR] TR3 Fan Belt

To: terryrs@comcast.net, list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Fan Belt
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:33:03 -0400
I would not run it with an overly tight belt. In my opinion,  It's bad for
everything in the loop. -  The belt should be on the looser side vs.
tight. Just tight enough to run the water pump and alternator without
squealing.   Something in the range of 1/2 inch deflection with a moderate
push of the thumb.  With a really thight belt it puts tons of side load on
the bearings of the waterpump and dynamo and  it likely flexes that little
sheet metal pulley on the end of your crankshaft -  I ran miine on the tight
side for several years and the crank pulley fractrured and blew up while
driving. I'm fairly certain it was all my fault....

I got several offers for replacements from this list (great folks here!).
It took several tries to find a crankshaft pulley  that did not have cracks
in it after cleaning the paint off.  FWIW,   I'd bet several of us are
running Crankshaft pulleys with cracks in them.

I did the conversion on my TR4 a while back.  If you used an alternator
pulley part number A203, and a rebuilt alternator for a 75 Camaro,
the cogged fan belt from NAPA  is part number 2524379
Chris
63 TR4

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html