[TR] TR3 Windscreen Frame to Cowl Seal Install

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Windscreen Frame to Cowl Seal Install
From: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:15:46 -0700 (PDT)
     This weekend I was installing a new seal between the windscreen and the
cowl. For me, the silver bullet was to have someone pull on one end while I
pulled to install the other. This made the seal longer and thinner and it slid
in fairly easily. I was pulling with some Channelocks, which eventually tore
the seal (trimmed off later). If I were to do it again I would have used clamps
with a piece of wood on each side to distribute the pressure. We also put the
end of the seal in a vise with my friend pulling the other end hard (to make it
thinner) and I was able to slide the bottom frame along with some degree of
ease.
     I narrowly averted shipwright's disease. I thought "Gee, I should have it
all re-chromed while it is apart". Also, one of the machine screws through the
stanchion to the windscreen frame is broken off in the threads. I thought "I
might as well try to fix this now". I left it and just enjoyed having a new
windscreen and seals.
     I am amazed at how much better it is driving with the top up now. It used
to leak cold air and water in the winter. Much better.

     Bill in Tehachapi

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47